With the holiday season upons us, you should be aware of the potential for increased residential break-ins and larceny from autos. Here are a few things you can do to avoid becoming a victim this holiday season:
* Request a Vacation Home check through Crime Prevention website at www.stopcrime.us as well as letting your neighbors know you will be out of town.
* After the holidays, do not advertise gifts received by leaving boxes for garbage collection.
* Do not leave your garage door opener openly displayed in your car. Keep the door leading from your garage to your house locked at all times.
* Try to keep your garage door closed as much as possible. It only takes a minute for someone to gain access to your home.
* Stop your newspaper and mail deliveries if you will be out of town for an extended period of time
* Put your interior lights on timers
* Have a neighbor park their car in your driveway
Parking Lot Tips:
* Shop early and avoid evening darkness
* Park in a high visibility area
* Do not park next to a vehicle with dark tinted windows
* Prior to arriving at shopping centers, lock all your valuables in your trunk
* Leave the store with others – not alone
* Walk briskly, confidently and directly through the parking lot.
* Be cautious of people handing out flyers or asking questions in the parking area
* Watch for people following you. This can occur inside as well as outside.
* If you suspect someone following you, report it to security immediately.
As always, call 911 for emergencies.
We hope you have a happy and safe holiday season.